Create a Freelance Portfolio to wow clients using Squarespace
A professional and trustworthy first impression is vital when potential clients visit your portfolio website.
Out of the impressive collection of Squarespace templates, I’ve handpicked 3 portfolio templates that present images gorgeously, guaranteed to wow your client upon first visit.
This article breaks down the strengths of each template and the type of creative they are best suited for. I hope it helps you build a beautiful portfolio online.
One Page Love Exclusive Coupon
Yay! Squarespace has been kind enough to give One Page Love readers the exclusive coupon OPL10 for 10% Off your first website or domain purchase. (There is a free 14-day trial with no credit card needed, so you can try risk free.)
- Avenue – Traditional, Grid Layout
- Ishimoto – Minimal, Horizontal Image Slider
- Momentum – Unique, Horizontal Project Slider
Avenue (Traditional, Grid Layout)
Avenue is a portfolio template with a traditional grid layout of project thumbnails. When a thumbnail is clicked, the grid slides down, revealing project details. This means the client never reloads the webpage and once they finish scrolling through a project, the grid is waiting for them to continue browsing projects. An incredibly fast and friendly experience to browse multiple projects.
Who is this template suited for? Anyone wanting to create a website for their side gig and showcase multiple projects and multiple images per project.
Ishimoto (Minimal, Horizontal Image Slider)
Ishimoto is a minimal portfolio template featuring a horizontal image slider. When a client clicks the arrows (on webpage edge) the images slide along, focusing the next image in the middle of the browser frame. Ishimoto accommodates landscape and portrait-orientation images exceptionally well as they fit perfectly within the strip of images. The minimal approach is for Ishimoto to simply showcase your best images in one view. However, if you want to showcase multiple projects you can easily create more and link to them from the top-right navigation.
Who is this template suited for? Photographers needing to showcase portrait photography. Anyone wanting to maintain a hassle-free portfolio while traveling.
Momentum (Unique, Horizontal Project Slider)
Momentum is a unique portfolio template with two browsing options – big image with text or big image only. This means a client can simply slide between your gorgeous big imagery that fills 90% of the browser window or choose to browse images (reduced in size) with alongside text for context.
Who is this template suited for? Anyone wanting to showcase their interests with one big image per project. Momentum can be particularly useful for website designer/developers who want to link out to external client websites.
FAQ: What are the benefits of using Squarespace?
Squarespace is a leading online website builder. What sets them apart from the rest is their superior level of design and customer support. They have a huge support team and are available 24/7. Other main benefits are:
- No Website Hosting Needed - their platform is fast and secure
- Online Content Management - all edits are done within your browser, no software needed
- Easily Drag and Drop Images - unlimited galleries with unlimited bandwidth
- Free Domain Name - when registering for your first website, if you pay annually (renews at standard rate)
- Beautifully Responsive - all templates work for all devices, so you only have to design your website once. Test and preview how your website will appear on a range of screen sizes.
- Blog Sections - can easily be added to start sharing your journey
- Commerce Solutions - are an upgrade away if you want to start selling products
- Email Marketing - gather email addresses, send marketing emails and analyze the reader email activity
That’s a wrap! Don’t forget your 10% Off coupon: OPL10
I hope this round-up of website templates saves you time when trying to find the perfect template for your new portfolio, props to Squarespace for creating a platform where we can create beautiful portfolio websites, easily. If you missed it I wrote a tutorial last month on the New 2018 Templates released from Squarespace.